Instructor Praise for This Book
"The text is eminently readable. Many of my students . . . identify with the themes very rapidly. They see the connections with their own world of experience and gain confidence in thinking sociologically." ―Michael Nofz, University of Wisconsin
"This book has been a fabulous success with students because it combines elements of critical social theory, readability . . . and popular culture." ―Charles R. Frederick, Jr., Indiana University
Student Praise for This Book
"The text opened my eyes up a bit to the world around me." "I really enjoyed the writing style of the book. . . . I thought of it as a book I would recommend to friends, not as a textbook."
As one of the most noteworthy and popular sociology books of all time, The McDonaldization of Society 5 demonstrates the power of the sociological imagination to today′s readers in a way that few other books have. The McDonaldization of Society 5 has been updated with many contemporary examples that speak relevantly to today′s student. This engaging book, sure to spark debate both in and out of the classroom, connects the everyday world of the "twenty-something" consumer with sociological analysis.
New to McDonaldization 5
- Presents a new concluding chapter on Starbuckization: A new Chapter 10 titled "The Starbuckization of Society?" examines the Starbucks phenomenon in relation to McDonaldization.
- Links pop culture to McDonaldization with contemporary examples: Updated examples include online dating services, Viagra, MDMA (Ecstasy), text messaging, Chipotle, Pollo Campero, extreme sports, robotic surgery with the Da Vinci system, Snack Wraps, megachurches, and more.
- Features an increased focus on globalization: Global issues are more prevalent throughout this edition, particularly in the discussion of the relationship between McDonaldization and the environment in Chapter 7.
- Looks at precursors and future possibilities of McDonaldization: A revised Chapter 2 combines a discussion of the precursors of McDonaldization and content on dealing with contemporary changes in, and future possibilities of, a McDonaldized world.
Accompanied by High Quality Ancillaries
- An Instructor Resources on CD, featuring PowerPoint presentations, suggested essay questions and activities, video resources, teaching tips, an interview with the author, and more, is available for qualified instructors. Contact Customer Care at 1.800.818.7243 (6am – 5pm PT) to request a copy.
- A Student study site at www.pineforge.com/mcdonaldizationstudy5 includes interviews with the author, Learning from SAGE Journal Articles, a McDonaldization myspace page, student activities, and more.
Bundle Options - Explore discounted bundles available with this text. Our bundle prices are lower than the prices of most other introductory Sociology texts alone! Please contact your Sales Representative for more information.
The bestselling The McDonaldization of Society is already in use in a variety of courses:
Sociology Business & Management
Introduction to Sociology Consumer Behavior
Social Problems Organizational Communication
Social Change Foundations of Leadership
Sociology of Work
It is also popular in freshman seminars, as well as with those interested in social criticism.
Contributor to the SAGE/Pine Forge ASA Teaching Innovations & Professional Development Awards Fund